Sugg Lighting has a long and illustrious legacy in decorative and heritage lighting. Established in 1873, Sugg is an industry leader that has illuminated the streets, squares and boulevards of London for over 175 years. Its international reputation has been shaped by their work with some of the most iconic places in the city, including Buckingham Palace and the Tower of London. Sugg Lighting’s history is rich in significance and prestige that extends beyond the capital - in celebration of this decorated past, here are the milestones which made this company the leading historical lighting company in the world.
Thomas Sugg (1771 – 1832), made the first gas pipes and installed them to Carlton House Gardens.
William, 1803 – 1858, son of Thomas ‘started for himself’ at 19 & 20 Marsham Street, Westminster in a partnership called Sugg, Pywell & Co.
Company became William Sugg & Co at the end of 1840 in the same premises.
William Thomas Sugg established the foot candle as the unit for measurement of light as a means of comparison.
Formation of the Limited Company.
Crystal Palace Exhibition with 4 pages of William Sugg products.
William Sugg supplied & installed Gas Lighting for the lighting of Tower Bridge.
Invention of high-pressure incandescent lighting and the gas pressure increased.
Lighting the exterior of Buckingham Palace.
Death of William Sugg.
Production of armaments including 8 million components for The Great War.
Began development of Lighting Laboratory by P. C. Sugg, father of Chris Sugg.
Centenary Dinner at total cost of £153 – 10d.
Production of armaments with 12 million Sugg Lighting components for WW2.
Move to Crawley from Westminster after factory extended to 100,000 sq ft.
Hostile takeover of William Sugg & Co Ltd by Thorn Electrical Industries Ltd.
Formation of a new company by Chris Sugg & Keith Bouracier, known as ‘Sugg Lighting Ltd’ to continue as a specialist manufacturer.
Re-introduction of gas lighting during the Miner’s Strike and the 3-Day week.
Re-formation of William Sugg & Company LTD.
Sale to F W Thorpe PLC, retaining the Sugg name.