Job Description: Electrical Technician
William Sugg & Co. Ltd’s legacy of craftsmanship and exquisite lighting design is only made possible by the exceptional talent of our dedicated team.
We are seeking an experienced and detail-oriented Electrical Technician to join our team, contributing to the creation of world-class lighting solutions. As an Electrical Technician you will play a vital role in upholding our heritage and ensuring that our lighting products meet the highest standards of quality, safety, and innovation. The role is full time and based in our factory in Horsham, West Sussex.
Location: Horsham, West Sussex
Hours: This is a full time position.
Salary: Dependent on experience, attractive benefits package.
- Installing gear trays, photoelectric cells and wiring into lanterns.
- Testing gear trays which involves running them for a few hours to ensure thermal limits are not exceeded, and using multimeters to check current settings.
- Monitor the inventory of electrical components in your department.
- Work with the purchasing department to identify parts that are needed for projects and ensure they are ordered in a timely fashion to keep projects delivery schedules on track.
- Liaise with other departments to coordinate the smooth production of lanterns.
Who we’re looking for
A large portion of the job is figuring out how to make things work for a specific project. The most important quality we need is someone who can think for themselves and use their initiative to complete the task.
- Ability to read and interpret 2D sheet metal and electrical drawings.
- Ability to wire several components together and make small cables using cutters, strippers, bootlace crimpers etc.
- Experience working with COB LEDs and their respective drivers would be useful.
- You should at least have a basic understanding of Ohm’s law in order to calculate power, current and other such things.
- Computer literate and able to learn how to use several LED driver programming softwares. Some experience with Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel is required.
- You’ll be able to assess new projects/refurbs and figure out the best way of implementing LEDs, drivers and other necessary parts safely within thermal limits. You can liaise with other departments as needed.
- Applicants should be able to solder well and demonstrate skill in making clean, professional-looking joints.
- Collaborate with our design team to develop innovative lighting solutions that combine cutting-edge technology with timeless design aesthetics.
- Design and implement electrical systems and controls for both interior and exterior lighting projects, ensuring compliance with industry standards, best practice, and regulations.
- Conduct thorough research and analysis to identify the most efficient, appropriate and sustainable electrical components and systems for each project.
- Oversee the installation and testing of electrical systems, ensuring they are functioning properly and meeting the required performance specifications.
- Troubleshoot and resolve electrical issues during the manufacturing and installation processes, implementing effective solutions to ensure the highest quality standards.
- Collaborate with external contractors and suppliers to source and procure electrical components, ensuring timely delivery and adherence to budgetary constraints.
- Stay updated with industry trends, advancements, and best practices in electrical engineering, implementing innovative approaches to improve our lighting solutions.
Qualifications & skills
- An electrical qualification desirable but not essential if appropriate experience can be demonstrated.
- Strong knowledge of electrical codes, regulations, and safety standards.
- Proficient in computer packages such as AutoCAD and SolidWorks and the Microsoft office suite highly desirable.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to think analytically and creatively to overcome technical challenges.
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Exceptional attention to detail and a commitment to producing high-quality work.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to collaborate with cross-functional teams and external stakeholders.
Join a prestigious company with over 175 years of heritage and be part of a team that continues to set the standard for excellence in lighting design.
- Work on high-profile projects that light up the world’s most iconic buildings and public spaces.
- Enjoy a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package
- Collaborate with a team of passionate professionals who share your dedication to craftsmanship and attention to detail.
- The opportunity for professional growth and development within a renowned organisation that values its employees.
About William Sugg & Co. Ltd
For over 175 years, William Sugg & Co. Ltd have been dedicated to the highest standards of craftsmanship, creating exquisite exterior and interior lighting that epitomises timeless elegance. Steeped in tradition and powered by a rich history, our exceptional team meticulously manufactures, reproduces, and refurbishes lighting fixtures that exude luxury and quality.
Known as ‘the heritage lighting specialists’ William Sugg leads the way in art of handcrafted lighting, creating beautiful works that delight and inspire our customers. From lighting the most prestigious thoroughfares to illuminating enchanting parks and private residences, our world-class work can be seen in iconic locations around the globe. We create exquisitely crafted products that exemplify excellence and are steeped in our rich history.
How to apply
If you have the skills, knowledge, and passion for excellence required to thrive in this role, we invite you to submit your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com
Please include the subject line “Electrical Technician Application – Your Name” in your email.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a face to face interview at our base in Horsham, West Sussex.
We look forward to reviewing your application.